Hey all. I came to a startling realization yesterday. It was yet another beautiful day on campus and I was walking to commons with some friends to grab some lunch. The conversation was light – I believe we were discussing recent sports scores or something of that nature – when all of the sudden one of my friends says, “Hey did you realize that we are now halfway through short term?” The comment hit me like a ton of bricks. It was like being told the day after your birthday that you would have to wait another 364 days to experience another special day. It was unnecessary and upsetting. I could not believe that the time had flown by so quickly. I am looking forward to summer but before my friend had reminded me of the reality the thought that short term was nearly over hadn’t even crossed my mind.
I guess short term has been so fun that I had lost track of time and of all the cool things I have gotten to do. So I decided to create this list of the top 5 things about short term (so far) to remind myself of the fun I have had and everything I can look forward to. In no particular order…
1) Taking a class that has been challenging and rewarding. My class, In the Presence of the Ancestor, has taught me to look more in depth at my cultural roots and if it weren’t for short term I never would have felt comfortable enough to step out of my comfort zone and take the course.
2) Enjoying the warm weather – from flag football, to throwing a baseball or frisbee around, to just lounging in the quad, short term has allowed me to take enjoying the great outdoors to a new extreme.
3) SKIING– although this kind of connects to enjoying the weather I didn’t think it was fair to throw it in under the ‘warm weather’ category. Getting to ski in April was a thrill for me and with my short term schedule I was able to go midweek and beat the crowds!
4) Hanging out with friends in a relaxed setting. During the rest of the school year I don’t get to see my friends as much as I would like to due to numerous tests, essays, readings, and homework assignments. With the easier short term schedule I can hang out with my friends a lot more and not have to worry as much about school work.
5) I’m only halfway through short term! Just knowing that there is still time left to have even more fun and to experience even more of the Bates short term is enough to get me extremely excited!